We’re Jason and Lee. We live just outside of Detroit, Michigan, in one of the cutest little neighborhoods you’ve ever seen - Grosse Pointe Park. We both want to love and nurture a family of our own more than anything else. In fact, we both talked about being dads the first time we met. We understand that this is a monumental decision for you and are incredibly grateful for considering us to raise your child.
Things We Like to Do Together
- Travel! We try to get to both coasts once per year for a vacation. Our favorite spots are Palm Springs, California out west and anywhere in coastal New England on the East Coast.
- Hiking and climbing - We recently went to Acadia National Park out in Maine.
- Hosting family and friends for fun events - we try to throw a Lobster Bake for friends every Labor Day, a Halloween party for our friends and their kids, and Thanksgiving for family.
- Cooking - Lee is an amazing cook and Jason loves to eat Lee’s cooking.
- Bike riding - Our city and neighborhood near Detroit is quiet and peaceful and perfect for hours of bike riding.
- • Sailing - We are members of our local Yacht Club on the Great Lakes. We are so excited for our future child to take junior sailing lessons!
Here’s Our Story
We met in Ann Arbor almost 14 years ago! Lee graduated school at University of Michigan and we were both living in the city. We were inseparable after the first time we met and knew we wanted to be together forever!
Education is important to us, so we both started Masters Programs after meeting. Lee in architecture and Jason in business. Jason’s business program was in Boston, so we moved out to the East Coast after a few years. We absolutely love New England! We try to go back and visit at least once per year.
Travel is also important to us, and after a few years we had the opportunity to move to Dublin, Ireland for work. What an amazing opportunity! We traveled all over Europe while we were there - Scotland, Spain, France, Turkey, Switzerland, Great Britain. When we returned from Europe, we moved out to Seattle. The West Coast is so beautiful and such great hiking!
At the end of the day though, family is the most important thing to us, so we moved back to Michigan to be close to our families.
They are all in the Detroit area. We found a beautiful 100-year-old home to fix up. It has been so much work, but one of the most rewarding experiences we’ve ever had together. Now that it’s almost done, we’re ready to start our own family.
Meet Lee, by Jason
Lee is the most neighborly and community-oriented person I’ve ever met. He is so actively involved to make our city better and the people in it. He goes above and beyond for our neighbors. Earlier this summer we had some heavy rains and flooding and he stayed with one of our neighbors helping with her flooded basement until it was okay. He never thinks twice about helping someone.
He also isn’t afraid to speak up and stand up for what he believes in - both for himself, our family and our neighborhood - another trait I hope your child learns!
I can’t wait for your child to learn these amazing traits from Lee...
- Sharing with others
- Community involvement
Meet Jason, by Lee
Jason is the kindest, most caring, and goal-oriented person I have in my life. The first time he told me that he has New Year resolutions, I remember thinking, “Wait, people actually do that?!” Not only does he have resolutions, but he writes them out with an action plan and regularly follows up to ensure he meets them over the year.
Jason has incredible patience and is a natural caregiver. You know those people you meet in life that not only make you feel great, but inspire you to be a better person? That’s Jason. I’ve loved growing as a person with him over the years and I cannot wait to see him be a father.
List of Favorites!
Lee: Julie and Julia
Jason: Jurassic Park
Lee: Ice Cream
Jason: Labor Day (BBQs!)
Favorite Vacation Spot
Lee: Palm Springs
Jason: Palm Springs
Favorite Childhood Activity
Favorite TV Show/Character
Lee: Charlie Brown
Jason: Great British Bake Off
A Few Things About Us
- Lee’s passion is design. He went to grad school for architecture and is usually poring over some book on architectural theory or flipping through a design magazine. Jason is a numbers junkie. Give the man a spreadsheet and he is happy as a clam.
- We believe in giving back to the community. We regularly volunteer for local non-profits, are young ambassadors to the Detroit Institute of Arts, and are involved in local politics.
- Humane Social Justice runs in our veins. We have two adorable dogs, Mies and Rennie who we rescued - one joined our family at the age of thirteen.
- We are foodies! We love trying new restaurants, visiting our favorites repeatedly, and cooking at home.
- Fall is our favorite season, and we cannot wait to take our future child to our local orchard!!
Welcome to Our Home
We have a huge backyard that we can’t wait to fill with outdoor toys! Our home was built in 1921 and we loved restoring it. Lee likes to say that it’s our version of the Home Alone house and appropriately enough, we love to decorate it for Christmas!
It is located in a quintessential neighborhood, with children running up and down the sidewalk. Award-winning schools are within walking distance.
We also have two waterfront parks, with splash pads, swimming pools, playscapes, and even a movie theater - right down the street. We’re so excited to turn one of the bedrooms into a nursery and fill our home with even more laughter and love!
- Our city’s parks - they’re on Lake St. Clair and have tons of fun activities for kids and a marina
- Yacht Club - we’re members - so we can go sailing every summer
- Eastern Market farmers market- for our local produce and random fun things
- Downtown Detroit - The Detroit Institute of Arts, and we love all the great historic relics on display at the Henry Ford Museum
- Biking through all of Grosse Pointe’s neighborhoods
Meet Our Friends and Family
We come from totally opposite families, and we love that diversity! Lee’s family is loud, talkative, outgoing, and loving. Jason’s family is quiet, caring, and supportive. The two families complement each other so well. Our mothers, for as different as they are, have created a close ‘sisterhood’ and go to lunch and girls’ days together. They are all so excited to be grandparents. Lee’s parents were foster parents throughout his childhood and had over 100 children live with them during his upbringing! Lee’s younger sister Sam was also adopted, so the impact of adoption is deeply ingrained in who he is as a person.
About Our Friends
We live on a super close-knit block. Our closest friends we’ve made since moving to our home are our neighbors. They know we are going through the adoption process and cannot wait for us to be parents too!! We have such a great support system between our families nearby and our neighbors.
Qualities We Value
- Open communication
We have two wonderful dogs - Mies and Rennie. We rescued Mies at just six-weeks old when we lived in Seattle. He’s the most low-key and calm dog we’ve ever had. His favorite activity is sleeping under a blanket. We’re not certain of his breed, except definitely part dachshund. Rennie is a recent addition to our family. We rescued her last year. She's been our ‘little old lady’ since she was 13 years old when we got her! Rennie’s breed is also a bit of a mystery but we’re told she’s part Cocker Spaniel. We take them on daily walks around the block and the neighborhood kids always stop to pet the dogs and give them a hug.
Our Promise to You
- To do our best - always. Period.
- To be fair. This goes back to our passion for social justice.
- To love. We will give your child the unconditional love that everyone deserves.
- To have fun! After all, childhood is meant to be fun, without a care in the world.
- To promote diversity. We firmly believe that it takes the proverbial village to raise a child.
One Last Thank You
Thank you for taking the time to learn a little about us. We cannot wait to learn about you and your wishes for your child! As our adoption journey begins, we are incredibly excited at the opportunity of finally becoming dads, and that is thanks to your courageous, loving, and selfless decision.