We are Spike and Nick, and we are so excited about becoming dads. Thank you for taking a moment to look at our photos and read about our world. We will never know what it feels like to be in your position, but please know that whatever happens – whatever you decide – we want nothing but the best outcome for you and your child. We live in Southern California, but we have spent our lives all along the west coast. We have talked for years about how we envision our future family, and no matter what we imagine, it always comes back to one thing – our love for each other and the boundless love we’ll have for our child.
We first met in 2008 while living in Portland, Oregon. Nick was a senior in college, and Spike was working at a toy store. We now live in Southern California and we just celebrated our fourth wedding anniversary. Spike is a professional actor, as well as the program director for a summer camp. He is looking forward to adding ‘stay-at-home dad’ to his resume. Nick is a college professor. He loves his job, and his students love him, but we are eager to return to the Pacific Northwest as soon as possible… we miss our family and friends, and Southern California is way too hot for us! We enjoy traveling. More often than not, we are on small excursions somewhere along the west coast with our families, but whenever possible we like to go on bigger trips. Some favorite vacations include New Orleans, New York City, and our honeymoon through Europe. When we’re not out on adventures, we usually find ourselves snuggled on the couch together; reading, watching TV, or listening to podcasts. You might also find us in the kitchen trying new recipes, or making old favorites from memory. It’s also not uncommon for us to have friends over for dinner parties and game nights.
5 Things About Us That May Surprise You:
- There is a 14-inch height difference between us. Nick is 5’7” & Spike is 6’9”!
- We have more than 80 board games in our collection.
- We each played the lead in high school productions of the play The Mouse That Roared.
- We set a new record for the fastest escape from a Puzzle Room in Amsterdam.
- We were on a game show together – and we won!
Have you ever met someone who seems like they were made to do one specific thing? I was made to be a professor. I love teaching my students, and I love doing research projects and presenting my work to others. I do many experiments and surveys which allow me to meet new people and see how they make decisions – something I find fascinating. In my spare time, I enjoy watching YouTube videos about obscure math problems. I also like reading lots of books – mostly nonfiction. Recently I read one about the science behind pop music. Of course, that doesn’t mean I am without a playful side! I can hold my own at karaoke or a trivia night, and my background in comedy makes me quick with a joke. Plus, my ability to play the same game over and over and over again has a way of making me any child’s favorite person. I am very excited to become a dad. Having a child is something I’ve been looking forward to for a long time, especially since I realized I’d get to raise them with Spike. I can’t wait to play toddler games, give piggy back rides, and someday teach them math.
Fun Facts About Nick:
- I have a Ph.D. in Economics.
- I am a published author.
- As a kid, I had my own TV show on public access, “Nick’s News for Kids.”
- I once did stand-up comedy for twelve straight hours.
- My favorite children’s book is Alice in Wonderland.
- If I was a student at Hogwarts, I’d be in Ravenclaw.
I am a very creative person. I like doing craft projects and planning dinner parties. I have helped many different friends plan their weddings. I played the role of decorator when we moved into our home. Whatever it is, I always enjoy a new project. My creativity has led me down many exciting paths. For example, I am a professional actor, specializing in live theater. I love the excitement of going on stage in front of a crowd and knowing that they have agreed to play along while I pretend to be someone else. I’m also the program director at a summer camp for kids affected by HIV, which is fancier way of saying I’m a professional camp counselor. I organize the schedules and oversee the people running arts & crafts and music and horseback riding, but I also get to emcee the talent show and lead sing-a-longs and play games in the pool. It’s one of my favorite things. I can’t wait until the day arrives that I get to become a parent, because everything I’ve done before has been leading me to this place. I plan to be a stay-at-home dad for a while, and whether making up songs, playing games, creating fabulous artwork, or building forts, I know my creative spirit will come in handy.
Fun Facts About Spike:
- My favorite children’s movie is Muppets Take Manhattan.
- I hosted an annual charity lip sync contest in my hometown.
- I didn’t get my driver’s license until I was 30.
- I used to be a full-time nanny.
- I was voted ‘Most Likely To Make It Big’ in high school.
- If I was a student at Hogwarts, I’d be in Gryffindor.
About Our Families
We are both from big families. Spike has a brother and sister, as well as 9 nieces and nephews. Nick has 2 brothers and 2 nieces, so our child will have A LOT of cousins to play with! We are also lucky enough to have our parents still with us, which means plenty of spoiling from all four grandparents.
- We got married while living in Seattle. We still have many close friends who live there, and so we go back to visit often.
- Portland is where we met, and we hope to live there again someday.
- Spike grew up in a small town called The Dalles, OR. Spike’s family mostly lives on the Oregon Coast, now. We visit there several times a year, including Christmas!
- Nick is from Arcata, CA. His parents still live there, so when we visit, we get to sleep in the same room where he grew up.
- We spend the last week of every year in Santa Cruz, CA with Nick’s extended family. We have a second round of Christmas and we ring in the new year together.
- Our home is in southern California. We are hoping to one day get back to the northwest, but for the time being, we are enjoying the sun, the beach, and the occasional visit to Disneyland!
It’s important to us that we share all of our traditions with our children. We want them to grow up with a sense of home and family, and one day maybe share those same traditions with their kids.
- Birthdays: Spike’s baking comes in handy when it’s time to make birthday cakes! Nick’s family always has spice cake with a special mocha frosting. In Spike’s family, it’s all about fun decorations… he’ll never forget the year his mom made him a cake in the shape of a troll doll – rainbow hair and all.
- 4th of July: More often than not, we spend the 4th of July with our friends Zac and Skylar. We go hiking or have a BBQ, and last year we spent a week camping in Yosemite National Park!
- Halloween: Halloween might be our favorite – we always dress up together and eat too much candy. We watch Hocus Pocus every year, and occasionally we make candy apples.
- Thanksgiving: Nick loves to make a big turkey dinner with all the sides, and Spike loves to eat it! For many years, Thanksgiving has been a time when both of our families have come together in one place for food, games, and good conversation.
- Christmas/Hanukkah: We are non-religious, but we love to go all out for holidays. Spike goes overboard baking cookies, candy, and pie. Nick’s family is Jewish, so in addition to our tree and other Christmas decorations, we also put up a menorah each year.
- New Year’s Eve: We spend the week after Christmas with Nick’s extended family. Our typical activities include eating, talking, eating, playing at the beach, eating, talking, rides and games at the boardwalk, eating, and talking.
Thank you so much for taking the time to learn about us. We know that these words and photos can only show part of our story, but it is our hope that we will get an opportunity to tell you more about ourselves in the future. We are as opposite as two people can be: tall & short, artistic & academic, outgoing & reserved. But together, we are a great team and we know we will make awesome dads. Hopefully you’ll agree!
With love and respect,
Spike & Nick