Aloha, we are Sheyanne & Dillon from from Haleiwa, Hawai'i. We cannot wait to share with you a little about our family. We have been married since 2017 and are so excited for this next step of starting a family through adoption. As a couple, we love to be outside, travel, play in the ocean and spend time with family. We have two french bulldogs, Manilla and Mozie, who we love to take on walks each evening together. We live a calm, slow paced lifestyle that we cannot wait to share with our future child.
Dear Birth Mother...
Our Thoughts on Adoption
We have been married since 2017 and have been dreaming of becoming parents since 2018. After years of infertility, we have decided that adoption is what God has in store for our family and we could not be more ready to become parents!
Sheyanne has siblings who are adopted and so adoption has always been something that is normal and natural to our families. Adoption felt like the perfect choice for us and we are so excited for the day when we become parents. We are looking forward to our future child feeling welcome and connected with others in our family who are adopted just like them.
We met in a Spanish class during college. We sat next to each other and Sheyanne didn’t have the book and so she asked to borrow his. After class, we went to the library together and the rest is history. That night we went on our first date together and have been together ever since. Very quickly we bonded over our similar life goals and dreams and slowly began building our life together.
After dating for 6 months we got engaged and were married 6 months later. We knew very quickly we wanted to spend forever together and have been happily married since 2017. Now, many years later, we are more in love than we were then. We are each other’s best friend and love the life we have created together. Each day is full of love, commitment and laughter.
We each love supporting and growing with each other and cannot wait to start this next chapter of parenting together.
Our Interests and Hobbies
- As a couple we love being active but also love our time at home. In a typical week for us, we normally love to cook breakfast together at home, work together in the garden, go to the beach and either swim or look for seashells together, and try out new local restaurants.
- We love being able to make time for fun each day when we get off work. We have a goal of spending time outside every single day and cannot wait to share this value with our child.
- Each time our nieces and nephews come over we get a little preview of what our island life with a child will be like and it feels so natural and beautiful.
- As a family we value sustainability and try to be intentional with the material possessions we have in our home. We want each thing to bring joy and to have a purpose.
- We love to save up money and go on trips together. We made a goal early in marriage to try and visit 2 new places a year. Some years its big trips and other years it has been local state parks. We enjoy doing the research together and creating the perfect itinerary.
- Together we have been able to travel to places such as Argentina, Brazil, China, Italy, Spain, France, Mexico as well as have explored every corner of Hawai'i. Our bucket-list is super long and we cannot wait to explore new places with our child someday.
You Might be Surprised to Know…
Both of us are fluent in Spanish and would love to share this with our children. Both of us served missions for our church for two years in our early twenties where we learned Spanish. Dillon was in South Carolina and had the opportunity to befriend and serve people from all of the Latin American countries and Sheyanne was in Argentina. Since the first time we met in Spanish class, Spanish has been and continues to be a huge part of our lives and we look forward to allowing our child to be bilingual from the start.
About Sheyanne, by Sheyanne
I grew up on a farm in Oregon. I came to Hawai'i to go to college and have been in Hawai'i since 2013. I went to school for Social Work and now work part time as a Therapist and run a photography business on the side.
I am of English and Scottish decent. I'm a kind, loving and gentle person. I love being around others and spending time with those I love. Growing up my parents always called me their sunshine girl because I was always positive and happy.
I enjoy spending time with family and friends, doing yoga, going to the beach, playing with our dogs and taking photos. I also love to garden and try to grow all our own herbs and some of our vegetables.
As a parent, I am looking forward to simply being with our future child through all the stages of life! I cannot wait to watch them grow, explore, play with cousins, and develop the talents they want to explore.
More About Sheyanne, by Dillon
Sheyanne is my very best friend and the wife and partner I always dreamed of having. Some of the things I love most about Sheyanne is that she is without a doubt genuine and true to herself. She is extremely kind, caring and everyone’s biggest supporter. She makes everyone feel special and important and is one of the best listeners I have ever met. Sheyanne is honest, dedicated and hardworking. She is witty with a great sense of humor and the best smile I’ve ever seen.
When I think of Sheyanne as a mother, I know she is going to be so kind, caring, compassionate and loving. I see her treating people this way even before being a mother and cannot wait to see her love a child. Sheyanne gives so much of herself to others and I know our child will never question the love and commitment she has for them. I have seen this love in my own life and within my marriage and it makes me excited for our child to experience it.
A Few of Sheyanne’s Favorites
- Dream Job: A Florist
- Source of Inspiration: I am super inspired by film photography and old family photos. It reminds me to slow down, simplify and be intentional
- Vacation Spot: Anywhere and everywhere! Dreaming lately of Japan!
- Seasonal Activity: Any dessert with pumpkin!
- What Does a Perfect Day Look Like: Waking up around 7, yoga and then some tea on the porch, snorkeling or time in the ocean and then getting together with family and friends to watch the sunset. I am so grateful many of my weekends look just like this!
- Place to Take a Child: We have a little local beach Dillon and I call secret beach. It’s a tiny cove with almost no waves where we can always see turtles.
- Children’s Book: You are Special
- What Sheyanne Likes to Collect: Postcards from all the places we travel!
About Dillon, by Dillon
I was raised in Southern California and moved to Hawai'i in 2012 to attend college. I work in family and immigration law and love my job, my coworkers and the clients I help.
I am of Portuguese and Czech decent. I am known for my sense of humor, my calm and relaxed personality and my hard work ethic. I have a positive outlook on life and enjoy each day. I am very easy to be around and a friend of everyone.
I love to be outside. I love going to the beach to snorkel or dive and could spend the full day in the water. I love traveling as well as cooking. I cook most of the meals in our home and love trying new recipes.
As a parent, I am looking forward to being their number one cheerleader. I cannot wait to go to all the sports, activities, or projects. I am excited to see the world through their eyes and to take them to my favorite places around the island for them to explore.
More About Dillon, by Sheyanne
Dillon is such a wonderful partner. He always looks out for me and treats me with such kindness and love. He is my best friend and has been there for me through thick and thin. I love how he is there on the best of days and the worst of days and each time helps me feel supported and loved. He is like a giant teddy bear and always there when I need him. He is loyal, consistent and my rock. I feel so honored and lucky to be his wife. I love him more and more everyday and cannot wait to parent side by side with him.
When I think of Dillon as a father, it makes me extremely excited. He will be the best father! He is the type of man who is patient, loving, supportive and easy to approach and talk to. He will be such a cheerleader and I know he will be so encouraging to our children in all they do. I have seen him love on our nieces and nephews and each one of them look at him as the fun and supportive uncle. I cannot wait for our child to feel this love from him.
A Few of Dillon’s Favorites
- What Dillon Likes to Collect: Shells! I love to dive and look for unique and cool shells. We have mason jars in our kitchen where I have collected my favorite ones.
- What Does a Perfect Day Look Like: A pop up tent at my favorite beach with a cooler of snacks and drinks with friends and family! I love to stay until the sunset talking story and connecting with those I love.
- Dream Job: A DJ!
- Source of Inspiration: Each time we travel I love to do things like go to the local grocery store or do a cooking class to see how other people live. I love seeing how I can add things to my life based on how other cultures are living.
- Children’s Book: Where the Wild Things Are
- Place to Take a Child: Honestly, our back yard. I cannot wait to watch them play and explore outside while they enjoy Hawai'i!
- Vacation Spot: Mexico
- Seasonal Activity: In Hawai'i we have a drive through Christmas light show and I love going with friends to enjoy all the lights in the city.
List of Favorites!
Dillon: Diving for Seashells
Sheyanne: Prince Royce
Dillon: The Beatles
Sheyanne: Steak and Potatoes
Favorite Trip Together
Sheyanne: Ice Cream
Dillon: Tres Leches Cake
We Love Our Home and Community in Hawai'i
We are blessed to live on the north shore of Oahu in a small and friendly community. We know our neighbors, they know us and look out for us and we have created a little family out here. Our home is a cozy space with a deck that looks out over a banana grove. We have a big, open yard with a beautiful garden and a lot of string lights so we can stay outside until after dark. It is quiet, safe and the perfect place to raise a family.
What we love most about our neighborhood is the open space and how safe we feel. We can go outside, run around, let the dogs play and enjoy fresh air. You always hear children playing and families outside enjoying the island or being active. We cannot wait for our future child to enjoy our home. We are minutes away from the beach, nearby parks, amazing hikes and beautiful camping spots.
We have two french bulldogs, Manilla and Mozie. They are a favorite among our nieces and nephews as well as the neighborhood kids who love to play in our yard with them. We love to take them on walks, spend time at a local bay where they can play in the water or take them to Starbucks to get a pup cup! After a long day you can hear them anywhere in the house snoring in their dog bed together. They are the sweetest, most loving doggies!
Dillon comes from a small, loving family. He has a wonderful mother and a loving father who have been married for over 40 years. Dillon has one sister who is two years older than him. She is married and they have been together for almost 10 years. They are working on starting a family as well and so soon there will be little nephews and/or nieces running around.
Sheyanne’s family is big and loving. She has 2 loving parents who have been married for 41 years. She has 6 siblings, 4 of whom are married and have children. She has 13 nieces and nephews and so there is never a quiet or boring moment when all the family is together. 2 of Sheyanne’s siblings are adopted from China and throughout Sheyanne’s side of the family she has 8 cousins who are also adopted.
Dillon and Sheyanne visit their family on the mainland 1-2 times a year in Oregon, Idaho and California. When we are not in person with them, we often will Facetime or text family updates. We have 2 siblings that live in Hawai'i as well and so we normally get together on Sundays for a barbecue to catch up and connect. Family is super important to us and we love spending time with them.
We are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Our faith plays a big part in our lives and we are excited to share our faith with our child to see if it resonates with them. We believe in Jesus Christ, that families can be together forever and that this life is meant to have joy and to learn how to be more like our Savior. In our home, religion and spiritual beliefs are a personal choice and we will support them honoring spirituality in whatever way they choose.
Our Thoughts on Parenting
We have had many years to think about the goals and intentions we have with parenting. We have been able to play key roles in the lives of our nieces and nephews and have learned so much through those relationships. As parents our main priority is that our child feels loved. We want them to feel comfortable coming to us and sharing anything. We want them to know that no matter what they do, who they are, or what is going on in their lives, we are there to support and love them. We want our children to know that their parents are people they can rely on. We hope to teach values of hard work, creativity, and self worth. We cannot wait for them to grow into the person they were meant to be. Since we are familiar with adoption, we know how important it is that we talk with our child about their experience. We want them to feel comfortable asking questions and want adoption to be something that is openly talked about at home. We hope to get to know you if you desire that, so we can share with our future child about their birth family and culture. We want them to know how loved they are from both sides of their family.
For years we have dreamed of being parents. We are so excited to adopt and to share our home with a child. Adoption is normal in our families and we are excited for your child to feel supported and loved by others who are adopted just like them. As parents, we promise to love unconditionally and to always cherish and adore your child. We promise to share with them whatever parts of their story you would like us to share. We promise to make their birth culture and history something that is talked about in our home. We will talk openly with them about adoption and help them to know how loved they have always been. Know that on our end, we support you no matter the outcome and that we know that you will know what is best. We look forward to meeting you if you feel we are the best fit, until then, we are sending you love and aloha from afar as you make this difficult decision.